The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Eggnog

I came up with a reduced calorie eggnog that is so good I will continue to drink it through the year. It's not entirely natural---it uses egg substitute, which has various gums and stuff (how's that for a scientific description?) to recreate the yolk portion that's missing, and fat free half and half, which has some white sugar and corn syrup [and, paradoxically, some cream]---but the calories are so reduced with minimal loss of flavor and texture, I consider it a healthy addition to breakfast, and a nice excuse for a snack. I usually mind the aftertaste of Splenda, but notice little if any when used in this. So here it is:

1/4 C.             Egg Beaters, Egg Starts, or other egg substitute
scant 1/4 C.    Splenda or similar artificial sweetener (Yes, it's supposed to be sweet!)
1/2 C.             fat-free half and half
3/4 C.             milk (I recommend soy milk or 1-2% milk)
a shot of         rum extract (optional)
                       nutmeg (Grate some into the drink and more on top.)

Blend all ingredients except the grated-on-top nutmeg in a blender,  mixer, food processor, whisk or particle accelerator. Enjoy.

Yes, as an option you can make an alcoholic version...you've still saved a lot of calories and fat. Add rum, brandy, bourbon or your favorite eggnog-compatible libation in whatever amount pleases you.

You could augment or replace the nutmeg with cinnamon, ginger or COCOA! I had some commercially-made gingerbread eggnog on Festivus and it was DE-licious.

I guess, in honor of the comic strip I draw, I should really call this eqqnoq.

No comments:

Post a Comment