The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

National Fritter Day

I turned in the artwork files for the 2010 QlownTown calendar yesterday. It was probably three months later than I should have gotten it ready (note to self for 32011 calendar: have ready in August), but at least it's now at the printer. I noticed as I looked at my 2009 calendar---which featured a few holidays, birthdays, and special occasions, but nowhere near the one-for-every-day of the 2010 one---that today is National Fritter Day. I've decide to honor this important day by making fritters for dinner tonight.

Here's a recipe that I like for corn fritters:

3/4 C. all-purpose flour
1/2 C. corn meal
2-1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
1 egg, separated
3/4 C. milk
1-1/2 tsp. canola oil
1 12oz. can whole-kernel corn, drained (optional)
Oil for frying

Sift flour with baking powder, salt and sugar. With rotary beater, whip egg whites till stiff peaks form.

In another bowl, using same beater, beat egg yolk, milk, and 1-1/2 tsp. canola oil.

Gradually add flour mixture, beating till smooth. Gently fold in egg white. Add corn, if using.

Heat oil (at least 2 inches deep) to 375F. Drop corn mixture by large spoonfuls (about 1/4 Cup) into oil, a few at a time. Deep-fry, turning once, till golden brown (3-5 minutes). Drain well on paper towels. Serve with maple syrup, molasses, honey or jam; or, to really impress, with cob syrup, made by boiling sugar, water and corn cob together, then straining...a somewhat involved process that I won't do again, in part because I love maple syrup more.

You could also go the savory route, topping with salsa, tapenade, curry sauce or hoisin.

Happy National Fritters Day!

This has been a service of the QlownTown Test Kitchens

No comments:

Post a Comment