The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas lights

On this date in 1882, the first Christmas light strings were sold. They replaced candles, which were responsible for houses sometimes burning down when the tree caught fire. Now more and more people are using LED Christmas lights, which emit almost no heat and therefore pose even less of a fire threat than mini-lights.

Nice thoughts for the week of Christmas, huh?

       


We went to a Hanukkah party this past Friday. It's a wonderful, annual affair at our friends Kathy and Jonathan's house. It has become the tradition that a group of men will peel, shred, squeeze, mix and fry the potatoes, onions, eggs and flour into an extravaganza of latkes, which is (are?) accompanied by applesauce and asour cream, brisket, kugel, the occasional vegetable, and many desserts. This year, some men brought their own aprons--next year, I'll have bring my own as well, although putting on a frilly red apron normally intended for Kathy or one of her daughters is always amusing.

Attending a Hanukkah party a week before Christmas is an embarrassment of riches for which I'm very grateful, and we've enjoyed it for every year but one over the last sixteen or so years. To be there for the lighting of the menorah is a pleasure and a chance to honor the rich history that goes with it. Since I spend my days being silly and irreverent for a living, it's nice to take time to be serious, respectful and grateful. I think the addition of a Hanukkah celebration to our Christmas season makes Christmas more fun for me. I always reach a point where I decide that the one more present I'd like to get someone will be unnecessary, that running around at the last minute to fight the crowds is counterproductive, and that I'll save my energy to be a better companion to that person on the day I'm preparing food and drink and tending to my guests' needs. While Christmas has Santa and Rudolph and presents and shopping attached to it, Hanukkah is still largely unspoiled. With all the gifts and hoopla and excitement and drama of the season, the lighting of the menorrah at the party and the lighting of candles at the 11:00 PM church service on Christmas Eve still are the highlights for me.

Then, of course, I'm ready for the opening of presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment