The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Monday, December 7, 2009

Calendar

I meet with the printer to approve the calendar proofs tomorrow morning, and then the calendar will be ready to ship in (I hope) a week or less. It's exciting to be doing the first QlownTown calendar, especially since it's grown from the original concept of just a large cartoon on top with the monthly calendar below to also including several interesting holidays and clown-related birthdays per month to adding a holiday or birthday to every day of the year, and one or two additional cartoons. Now it exists as a "Holiday" calendar, another way to give people a lift every day. As a matter of fact, people can still hate clowns but enjoy the list of wacky holidays. How bad can a day be if you know it's Rubber Ducky Day or National Kazoo Day, and that someone somewhere is actually celebrating it?

I'm hearing from more and more people that they always look forward to their morning QlownTown fix to get the day started right. I do that myself with other people's cartoons, so I feel lucky to be a part of a group that helps people get going on the right foot. I receive the daily cartoon myself via email, and I always check it to make sure it comes through all right. I frequently think of some particular friend or relative who I know will be especially entertained by whatever cartoon arrives that morning...that's how I get a lift from the strip.

And, for the first time, I also get to see the cartoon as my readers do.

As I've mentioned here previously, by the time I've gone through the process of writing, drawing, scanning and coloring the strip, the joke often seems lame; but seeing it arrive, fully formed, in my email gives me a fresh perspective. I sometimes laugh out loud at my own cartoon! This is when I know that 1) it's a good one, or 2) I may be the only one who finds it funny and I should be an accountant or burger flipper. Of course, I always choose to believe the former is true, and feel encouraged when someone writes to say they especially liked that day's cartoon.

Perhaps, in keeping with my campaign to start people's day right, I should go into coffee distribution. Qlown Qoffee, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment