The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

We're ba-a-ack!

I guess the email snafu got fixed--at least for now. I received my emailed cartoon today, and I assume all the other members did as well. I gave me a big lift, first because I like the absurdity of the cartoon, and second, because I thought it wouldn't be fixed till next week.

I pondered whether to make the attacker naked or not. I originally drew the cartoon when I was planning to present the dailies in black and white, so drawing clothes never mattered. Then, when I colored it, I thought, "Man, that guy is naked!" I thought of adding some clothes and smudging them to indicate movement, but since the humor in the cartoon is really based on the absurdity of the situation, I figured why not keep him nekkid? Makes him even crazier. I may be the first person to draw a widely-distributed naked clown. Maybe that's not such a wonderful distinction.

The cartoon was inspired by a true-life typo in an email that our website editor sent to the employees where I used to work. There were some changes being made to the site, and some pages would be unavailable for awhile. She wanted us to warn customers whom we might send to the site that this would be happening. She ended, "Please excuse the incontinence".

I wrote back that some people might be disappointed, but I didn't think they'd have that strong a reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment