The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Recipe

I've had several requests to print the Spiced Pork Tenderloin recipe I mentioned on my Facebook page, so I'm running it here. I've been more or less following Phase 1 of the South Beach diet this week, which allows lean meats but does not allow many carbs. (I hate that word; it's such a cliche, but it's less unwieldy than "carbohydrates".) There's no prohibition on seasoning, however, so I dug out this very flavorful recipe. I usually marinate pork loin, because it can be pretty bland if the seasoning just sits on the surface, but this seemed to infuse the whole cut, despite being rubbed on just before cooking.

This, by the way, is a great way to diet, in my opinion: use plenty of seasoning if the food you're limited to will be bland. Herbs and spices add few if any calories, and, unless you prefer mild or unadorned food, a lot of character and flavor. We had a low-cal arugula salad last night that I'll do again, even when I'm back to eating in my usual, somewhat undisciplined way. It was seasoned with capers and vinegar. It called for anchovies, but we were out, so I figured some capers would provide a similar savory punch. I notice that as I've been dieting, I put more effort into making the food interesting and exciting. It's sort of a reward for the sacrifice.

Anyway, here is the recipe for Spiced Pork Tenderloin with Balsamic Pearl Onions:

1 T. minced fresh rosemary (or about 2 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. ground fennel seed
2 tsp. brown sugar (I used half the amounts of Splenda and it tasted fine.)
1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp.  salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
 pinch of ground cloves
 2 pork tenderloins, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lbs. each

Combine dry above ingredients in a small bowl. Rub each tenderloin all over with 1 T. oil and half of the rosemary spice mixture.

Heat oven to 450F with rack in center. Heat 2 tsp. oil on medium-high heat till shimmering (or, in my kitchen, before it burns!). Add the loins, reduce heat to medium, and cook about 6 minutes till well-browned, turning 3 or 4 times. Transfer to roasting pan and roast till thickest part measures 135 to 138F, 12 to 17 minutes. Take out, cover with foil, and let sit till temp is 145-150F.

2 tsp. oil
1-2 large red onions, sliced
1 T. fresh rosemary
2 T. brown sugar
1/3 C. low sodium chicken broth
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. unsalted butter (optional)


While pork roasts, return skillet to medium heat, add 2 tsp. oil, and add onions. Cook till dry (frozen) or soft (fresh) and browned, about 8 minutes, stirring to break up slices. Add 1 T. rosemary, 2 T. brown sugar, chicken broth and vinegar, stir, increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are tender and liquid has reduced to a glaze, about 5 minutes. Add butter (if using--I didn't) and stir to coat onions; season to taste with salt and pepper (again, optional; I didn't add salt). Slice pork thinly; serve with the onions.



I must give credit for this recipe to the Boston Globe magazine. I made a couple of small changes, but this is basically their recipe. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment