The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Random thoughts

...I mean even more random than usual.

I deleted the items in my "Trash" folder in my e-mail program. There were about twenty--not a lot--and I know they take up very little space on the hard drive. It's just nice to be rid of them completely, to not even see them if I decide to check the folder. It's sort of like taking out the trash, only it doesn't contribute to pollution or climate change and I don't need to put on snow pants and boots to do it.

Speaking of climate change, why do people take all the snow we're having as proof that there's no global warming, when in fact the correct term is climate change? Global warming occurs some of the time and is only part of the overall change; sometimes it's heavier snow or wind than in the past. Or more hurricanes. Or mosquitoes.

Speaking of snow, we just had the third or fourth or fifth major snowstorm this month, and I still marvel at how beautiful it is. Maybe it's because I work from home, and after I've cleared the driveway for my wife with my easy-to-use snow blower, I can go inside and avoid dealing with slippery roads, traffic and the cold.

Dilbert did a joke today with the punchline "sewer side mission", but then defused the potential groan about the pun by adding another punchline. This is an effective device to dilute a pun (even though I believe a good pun is a clever thing and should be respected; embraced, even). I probably should have done this one my Abominable Snowman cartoon, although I already had a lot of words in there.


 Why is it that when I look through the bunches of coupons that come in the paper, I hardly ever see anything that is of any use to me? I read about these coupon clippers who save hundreds of dollars a week, but I have to believe most of them are saving, say, a buck on a major name brand when the store brand is just as good and already costs two bucks less. Or they're buying ultra-processed Pillsbury Corn Syrup and Guar Gum biscuits when I can make better ones at home for a lot less. I suppose if you already cook with a lot of processed food, there are real savings, but when I can save a quarter or so each on a big box of some product, but only if I buy three, and it will take me a year to use them up, it doesn't seem worth it. My idea of a coupon is 50% off flour or sugar or milk. Unfortunately, we use coupons so seldom that when I do send a coupon along to the grocery store with my wife (she usually does the shopping; she claims I'm an impulse buyer) it tends to get forgotten. Now that's like throwing a dollar away. Too bad the manufacturers don't just lower the price for everyone...but of course they couldn't afford to: it's the extra effort that earns some people the discount.

Rebates are even worse. I bought a new cell phone, and to get the $50 back, I had to send the original receipt, the side panel from the box, a filled-out form, and ten of my favorite shirts to get the rebate. God forbid it gets lost in the mail. Then four months later I get a generic-looking check and wonder what it's for. If I buy a phone at a Verizon store and it's a rebate from Verizon, why can't they just give it to me at the Verizon checkout counter when I pay Verizon? Once, the store clerk explained it to me incorrectly, and by the time I realized what I had to do to get the rebate, they told me it was too late and they were sorry. And Verizon is the top-rated wireless provider!

Why is it more fun to come up with cartoon ideas than it is to draw them? Actually, I enjoy the drawing, too, but coming up with the initial concept is the best part. Maybe it's because I can see it in my mind, and making the image available to everyone else is just work. The penciling is a lot of fun; the inking, scanning and cleaning up are less so. Then the coloring is fun again. I guess it's the same as when I was a kid: it's fun to make up stuff and color in pictures.

Now it's time to go work out in the gym. We'll see how I like the weather after that.






No comments:

Post a Comment