The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Evolution

It's been interesting, these last few weeks drawing QlownTown. I've made a conscious effort to give the characters larger hands and feet, and tweak their proportions. I like when a character like Mr. Katz is shaped unlike anyone in real life. It becomes more fun to draw when the clowns look really silly, and it's closer to the "stretch and squish" rule at Disney. The idea is that cartoon characters should stretch longer and squish flatter as they move, exaggerating natural shapes and movement. It's almost like imagining them made of Jell-O...and as we know, there's always room for characters made of Jell-O.

I've also tried lately to steer away from puns again. I like it better if they don't become the norm, although there are many strips---Shoe, Mother Goose and Grimm and Frank and Ernest spring to mind---in which puns are common and clever. I wish my mind worked more like Tony Carrillo's. He does F Minus: almost every strip has a twisted sensibility. I used to do stuff like that when I was in college. I think you're more open to irony as a student. As you age, life beats you down and you become tired of thinking creatively. Actually, it's just the way I think now. One-liners. But if the drawing style can evolve, maybe the humor can as well. 

Of course, having said that, I have a pun coming up concerning Toll House cookies next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment