The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Radio interview

I just finished my first interview on the radio since launching the website. It was actually a lot of fun. I had to remember not to make my answers too long--I know I can run on talking about stuff that I'm interested in. But the host, Bruce Arnold, said I did great, and with luck, I'll pick up more members and/or visitors. So far, I think Rich from New Mexico is the farthest-away subscriber, but on the Internet that means nothing anyway. Still, once I can say I have members in 50 states, that'll be something.

Now, Phase One of my Master Plan was getting the site online. Phase Two will be to get the strip into newspapers. In terms of income, papers aren't worth a lot, but in terms of getting people to check out the website, they work well as advertising. Note the button on the Home page where you can contact your local paper and tell them you want to see QlownTown in it--please use it! There are other phases as well, but these first two are enough for the first year or so. I have ideas for all sorts of cool products based on the strip, but those will have to wait.

I was cleaning out some files on the computer yesterday, wondering if I should delete the outlines for website pages. I'll save the sketches, because I had a teacher in art school who told us to save everything we ever do, just in case, but I, like a fool, threw out many pads of drawings that I now wish I could add to the archives. Not that they were brilliant stuff, but some people (like me) like to see the arc of an artist's journey, so to speak. Now part of me says Clear out some stuff because it takes up a lot of memory, but another voice says You'll be happy someday when you print your ten-year retrospective book. I plan to do the strip for at least fifteen years; that works out to about 5,475 cartoons. I've planned ahead, so now I only have about 5,200 cartoons to go and I can retire. I can see why a lot of cartoonists say the pressure to produce can get intense, but I'm hoping I can stay ahead of it. I mean, it just seems wrong to be stressed if you're drawing cartoons! I've always drawn them to relieve stress.

Speaking of which, I'm feeling that I'd better get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment