The artist known as the guy who draws "QlownTown"

Sometimes this blog relates to the comic strip; more often, it's about whatever strikes my fancy on a given day. I do the strip daily, but only write the blog when I have something to say. Check out www.qlowntown.com or www.cafepress.com/qlowntown!

Monday, November 9, 2009

Busy busy

When I embarked on the QlownTown adventure, I envisioned sitting at my drawing table playing with cartoon characters, which I would then casually scan, color and upload to the site for automatic release on the proper date. What I didn't envision was discovering that coloring them was as much fun as crayons were when I was a kid, and, as a result, spending hours playing with color and patterns after the initial black and white drawings are done.

This on top of being in Production Week for a play I'm in, doing work to publicize a concert for this coming Sunday, and trying to put the finishing touches on the 2010 calendar. The calendar has become an especially large undertaking since I decided to list a holiday for almost* every day of the year---yes, there are that many. So, after a 4-1/2 hour rehearsal, I found myself putting a cartoon together till 10:45 last night so it could go out to subscribers at midnight.

This is the danger of being only one day ahead on drawing the strip, but I plan to change that after the play and calendar are done. At least doing the play and researching the calendar are both lots of fun.

Interestingly, one involves working with about sixty other people, and the other involves working alone, yet I love both. I can't imagine drawing a comic strip with sixty people, and doing a one-man show would be nerve-racking. If those sixty people worked well together, the cartoon process would go really fast, though.

Anyway, this is the type of week one often refers to as Hell Week, but I think/hope it'll be Heaven and Hell Week. Next week will be Catch Up and Nap Week.

*I may ask people to suggest holidays for the few days that feature, as far as I can tell, no existing holiday or celebration, to be listed on the 2011 calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment